Saturday, August 27, 2011

Little Edible Vines

 CREEPING CUCUMBER: MELOTHRIA PENDULA


While I was inside recovering this summer from my surgery, the weeds were slowly taking over our yard. This vine started it’s assault on the bushes around our deck and started coming up on to the deck. I went out the other day and tried to pull out a little of it and discovered these little fruits. This is a vine I’ve never seen before, so I was intrigued. The leaves look kinda like a grape, the little fruits look like little watermelons.
After a bit of searching I found this:
Fortified by this article, Jessi decided we had to try them, so she and Noah ate one each . I tasted it and it does taste like cucumber. The fruits are also packed with seeds. I’m still having trouble wrapping my brain around eating them so have not actually consumed one yet, though the kids have had more than one. Jessi even put them on our salads the other night. 
The article cautions that the ripe fruits, the black ones, are a very strong laxative, which is probably why they were classified as poisonous in North Carolina. We are all still alive though, so I’m am pretty sure the green fruits are safe. They also apparently have a good deal of nutrition. Who knew a pesky weed could be so interesting?


No comments:

Post a Comment