Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Art Exploration: Andy Goldsworthy


I had the wonderful opportunity to sit in on a class given during our co-op by my friend Angela a couple of weeks ago. She introduced to the kids, among many other things, the art of Andy Goldsworthy. I had never heard of him before, but his art captured my imagination, as I think it did the kids in the class.


Especially in the light of the large, somewhat intrusive impacts of the art by Christo, I love that everything Mr. Goldsworthy does is ephemeral and totally from nature. I rented the documentary about him from Netfliks and had the kids watch it (they loved it). You can also see snippets of the film and his work on YouTube. If you are looking for an art topic, I really think his work is perfect to fire the creativity of young minds. It could also spark questions and discussions about what makes something "art". My daughter has already tried making her own "nature art" out in the yard. This just seems like great food for thought for the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment