Tuesday, August 30, 2011

It Takes a Village: Part 1


We have seen a lot of family in and out of town in the past few weeks, and I will confess to a little bit of impatience. We are supposed to be starting our school year after all, and it’s very hard to get any schoolwork done with special guests in the house and entertaining all the time! On the other hand, it’s so rare in this mobile society to have extended family that is close and that cares enough to come visit. How could I possibly get upset? After all, these are the same people who were willing to give up weeks of vacation time to come and help out this summer while I sat in bed or in a chair with my foot wrapped up. Who else would drive my kids around and entertain them and care enough to get to know them as the amazing individuals they are? No, as a child of the military, I truly do appreciate the presence of extended family. I spent a great deal of my childhood on military bases overseas, and while we were there, half a world away, my aunts and uncles started having kids, and I now have a great number of cousins I never really got to know. How wonderful, then, to see my kids growing up surrounded by extended family in all their wacky variations. Here is a different kind of socialization in the best sense of the word. Grandparents who can give perspective to changing times and changing lives, young aunts and uncles out making lives for themselves in different ways. Watching and being a part of the trials and tribulations of others enriches us and, I dare say, helps us to learn to deal with people and all their different quirks whatever the age. I’d rather put the books aside for a bit and let the real “socialization” happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment