Friday, April 20, 2012

Strawberries!


 It's strawberry season in North Carolina! It's one of the BEST things about living here. Every year we go to pick them at one of the "U-pick" farms in our area. Some years are better than others, and I think last year was probably the best we have ever seen (We picked 20 pounds of the best looking and tasting strawberries I've ever seen last year!), and so far this year is looking pretty good as well.

Here is our loot from the afternoon after taking a trip over to Jean's Berry Patch. Most years I pick quite a bit more, but most years I also make strawberry jam. A quick check in my pantry has revealed several jars still left over from last year (we stopped eating jam), so I may not make the effort again this year. We will probably gorge ourselves on them for couple of days (We have been known to be able to down six quarts in a day no problem!) and I will freeze the rest for smoothies throughout the summer.

In years past we have frequented a small farm nearby called Buckwheat Farm. I was under the impression that they did not spray their berries with any sort of pesticide or herbicide, but I got word that they have done so this year. We decided to try Jean's this time. I have understood that although Jean's is not certified Organic, they operate organically. This article seems to corroborate this. Also, WRAL did a short but sweet piece on this operation a couple of years ago.
http://www.wral.com/lifestyles/travel/video/7626363/#/vid7626363.
Please note that I have no proof that either place uses pesticides or herbicides or not. If this really matters to you, please call ahead and ask. It is common to fumigate the soil itself at the beginning of the season and there is strong reason to believe that the pesticides put into the soils are highly dangerous. Methyl Bromide and Methyl Iodide are common pesticides used. What, if any of this, gets into the berries I do not know.

I do know of another farm that IS Certified Organic, and we will be visiting them next weekend. The farm is called Hilltop Farm and they seem to be the only Certified farm in Wake County. They are only open for picking on Saturdays and Wednesday in the evenings, so I am gathering that it is probably fairly small. They also run a CSA.

There is also, of course, Vollmer Farm in Franklin County, but they are a bit farther from me than I would like to travel if I can help it.

Happy strawberry picking! Please leave me feedback if you live in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area and have any additional information about this. I'd be happy to spread the word!

2 comments:

  1. By Roni (she had some trouble posting):
    I went to the farmer's market this morning and one guy told me Volmer Market and some natural earth moon cycle Whitted farmer. I cannot read his last name now and did not check before I left this morning. But also next w/e, 4/28-29 there is a piedmont farm tour for $25/carload. Also, the lady at Flat River Nursery and Farm told me she sprays but just before the berries bloom, which another farmer also told me, but his pesticide seemed less acceptable than the lady at Flat River. Seems there are different pesticides, fungicides, etc etc. And yes, getting organic certification is quite extensive and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I am off to Jeans this week!

    ReplyDelete