Friday, April 13, 2012

Homeschoolers are Fascinating People



I am reminded today again just how wonderful homeschooling is. I don't say this to pat myself on the back. Really, I don't. The thing is, I keep meeting and getting to the know the most amazing and wonderful people. If my kids were in school, I really don't think this would happen. The people I'm thinking of all homeschool and do so in so many different ways. It's just so interesting and mind-broadening to see.


The friends my kids have, and the children they are around, aren't an unknown quantity to me. We get to know and talk to each and every parent involved, and the siblings too. As the child of a military family, I learned early on that people come and go, and managed to cultivate a fascination with the stories that those people have to share. There are so many amazing stories out there if you take the time to ask and listen.

In the homeschooling world, there are some families that are very structured and make sure the lessons get done every day. I can admire that dedication, knowing that I'll never be quite that disciplined. We have other friends who fall more on the side of Unschooling and I love the uniqueness and creativity that so many of their kids possess.

There are families with grandparents living with them, families who struggle with severe disabilities, illness or allergies, families with amazing talented kids that just couldn't be squashed into the box, families with adoptive children, and large families that like being their own living universe.

Today I visited with some homeschool friends that have just moved out into a farm situation. I can't imagine having four kids to homeschool and jumping right in to learning how to raise chickens, pigs, milk a cow, and plant a garden... all within days of moving in. I think that kind of leap into their dreams is just so brave and wonderful to watch. I am honored to be able to share it with them.

We have friends with parents of various ethnic backgrounds that spend part of each year in those countries where they have family. We all get to hear the stories of their trips and welcome them back when they return. My kids are learning to meet and get along with a wide variety of people and realize that the world is a big place with many points of view.

Homeschooling is awesome... and the people are too.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, the homeschooled kids/families/associates I meet in the course of my job all show that creativity, maturity, and inquisitiveness that just seems to go naturally with the home schooled environment. Once I know the kid has been home schooled, it shows in many ways in the interviews about the subject's character. Mom

    ReplyDelete