Friday, January 10, 2014

Those Crazy Katz' of Windsong Lane: Chapter 19

Chapter 19: Sarah

It was an eventful week for Sarah. Later that week, when the family was at the library, Sarah was approached by a young man. He introduced himself as Leo and said he knew Beth-Ann and wanted to meet the girl who was her friend but was never in school. He said she fit Beth-Ann’s description so he figured she must be Sarah. Sarah was flustered, she didn’t know what to think! Most teenage boys were not so forward. She flushed bright pink and said, “Nice to meet you,” and then stood there awkwardly because she didn’t know what to say.

After a pause, he said, “So how do you manage that? I thought everyone HAD to go to school?”

Sarah replied, “Well, it’s not like I don’t learn anything at all. I just do school at home.”

“What? You don’t just not like us people at school and try to stay away from us?” He was trying to be funny, she could tell. He wasn’t succeeding, but she smiled anyway.

Sarah said, “No. It’s not like that…,” and she was going to say more, but then he changed the topic and asked her what happened to her ankle.

 “Dog bite,” she replied and then her mom waved from across the room that they had to go. She said, ‘Well, it’s nice to meet you… Leo… bye.” She rushed, limping, out after her family, with her arms wrapped tightly around the books she had in her hands and her head down. Why had he made her so flustered? She wasn’t usually like that. He was kinda cute, though in a rangy teen kinda way.

Sarah wondered how she could find out more about him. It was the first time any of the kids in the town, besides Beth-Ann, had made any attempt to get to know her. The family had stopped going to 4H when it became too difficult for Sarah’s mom to corral the younger kids for the whole time. Also, her mom had felt a little guilty about not being able to pitch in and teach as all the moms were supposed to do. She just couldn’t do it with so many kids to take care of, and she didn’t really want to, since she did enough of that at home. Sarah had gotten a lot less time with kids her age after that, however, and she privately wished they were back in Raleigh. She missed her friends there.

She called Beth-Ann that night. “Beth-Ann, there was a boy who came up to me today in the library and he said he knew you. I was wondering if you could tell me who he is?”

Beth-Ann was intrigued, ”What boy?”

Sarah said, “Well, he was kinda tall with blond hair and really blue eyes… He said his name was Leo.”

“Oh, Leo!” Beth-Ann said, “Well, what do you want to know? Our parents are good friends, but I don’t see him much these days. He’s all ‘Mr. Popular’ and I’m just the weird brainy girl.”

“Um, well, I don’t know,” Sarah said, “I just was surprised he cared who I was.”

“Ooooo,” said Beth-Ann. “I wonder if he likes you?”

“That’s silly,” Sarah replied. “He doesn’t even know me. How could he like me?”

Beth Ann was thoughtful, “Maybe your just too mysterious? I bet he is curious and wants to know about that beautiful mysterious girl I keep talking about.”

“Now I know you're loopy,” said Sarah. “How’s the practicing going?”

“Oh, you know, the usual. It’s so tedious, but I need to be ready for the next concert. They have an invitational concert to play with the North Carolina Symphony this week. I want to be ready. That means I’ll be gone again this week. I should probably homeschool like you. I miss so much school, I’m doing make-up work all of the time. Mom won’t even consider it though...Anyway, I should go now. They are calling me down to dinner. See ya girlie!”

“Bye,” said Sarah and hung up.

Her mom noticed that she was very preoccupied that night. Sarah barely said two words at dinner, and when Karen asked her what books she had gotten at the library she didn’t even answer at first. Even worse, when she did answer she said with a startled air, “I don’t know if I even checked them out mom!”

Karen said, “Really Sarah, how could you forget to check them out?”

Sarah was thinking, “Well I guess that’s what happens when a good-looking guy startles you in the library,” but she said, “I don’t know Mom. I was distracted I guess.” She didn’t know why she didn’t want to tell her mom. Somehow, it just seemed like something she wanted to keep to herself for the moment.


That night she found she just could not get the encounter out of her mind. It was very disturbing because she couldn’t sleep and couldn’t concentrate to read. She kept seeing Leo’s face smiling at her and it gave her a peculiar butterfly feeling inside. She wondered if she’d see him again. She really had no reason to. Maybe he would be at the library next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment