Friday, February 15, 2013

Spring, education and stupidity

It's only February but already there are signs of spring. The crocuses and a few daffodils have popped up, I can see buds forming on the maple trees, our peach tree is already blooming, and the little frogs are crick-cricking away in the wetlands around here. 

The robins are showing up in our yard in large numbers and this is always a sign of Spring here in North Carolina. I do Feederwatch counts all year for the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, but this week is also the Great Backyard Bird Count. It's a great way to learn about the birds in your area and take part in easy citizen science.


I only have a couple of quotes for now. I've been perusing "educational" quotes and this one struck me as particularly true:


"History is a race between education and catastrophe." - H.G. Wells


We've been listen to Story of the World tapes and my kids have made the observation that history seems to be a series of wars and people greedy for power. It's sad, but I have to agree with them.

Just as I found that quote, my daughter, who is reading about Korea, Japan and WWII ( So Far From the Bamboo Grove by Yoko Kawashima) asked me why we dropped two nuclear bombs on a bunch of innocent civilian people in Japan. I have no good answer for her. She said, "Humans are stupid. War is stupid." Truer words have never been said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment