Sunday, May 6, 2012

Summer here we come!

This past week we did our mandatory yearly testing and so I decided that we would play hooky the next day. We spent a lovely afternoon with friends at Jordan Lake and it felt like Summer was here and I could definitely use more of it. It's not just hanging out on a beach (I would vastly prefer an ocean beach, but a lake beach will do in a pinch.). No, it really was just the fact that we had the time to go hang out on a beach. It was the fact that we could spend a productive morning at home doing school work and then spend a lovely free afternoon without other commitments... and on a weekday at that!

I know some parents dread the summer and can't wait for September to come so they can send their kids back to school. I never felt that way. I love the free flowing days, the trips, the time at the pool. We do our school work and then do whatever else we feel like without outside pressure. Some weeks the kids are at camps, and some weeks we are away on trips exploring or spending time with friends and family. To me this feels like the best of homeschooling, and so I mourn the loss of it when the Fall comes and our regular activities start up again.

Don't get me wrong. We do those activities because we enjoy them (mostly) and I consider them worthwhile, but the little rebel inside me (Yes, I really do have a rebel locked in my very planned, respectable, non-partying self.) chafes at the structure. The endless days and nights of planned activities that demand money, commitment, and time for months on end.

Maybe I'll be ready for planned weeks again in the Fall, but for now I want to soak up those summer days... but maybe not so much sun just yet. I've got a terrible sunburn already.

No comments:

Post a Comment