Saturday, January 14, 2012

Spelling Bee


My daughter has just completed her first Spelling Bee today. She competed against 15 other homeschooled kids ages 9-13. She didn't win, but I really think that that is beside the point. It was a wonderful experience, and it helped her to focus on words again for a bit. This year I pretty much gave up on Language Arts curricula for her. It would be an understatement to say that reading, writing and other language related skills were her strong point. Each year she has tested way beyond grade level on nationally standardized tests, and I yet I struggle to put any kind of structure to her reading and writing. She balks at my every effort, and part of me has decided that, in this at least, I should probably leave her alone. I'd like her to learn how to write a proper college essay, of course, but for now I have this feeling that too many parameters will stunt her creativity and growth.

This Spelling Bee has been marvelous because, not only was she able to do it with friends (one of whom won and will be going on to the regionals), but it gave us a goal, and we could focus on vocabulary and spelling together in small chunks. Since she isn't a very competitive personality, we were relaxed about it. The precise format required to take part was also good because I feel that kids sometimes benefit from outside structure and rules. I wouldn't argue for strict rules all day long, like many public and private schools, but in small doses it can be good practice for situations they will encounter later. Other pluses: It was necessary to remain quiet and courteous to the other contestants throughout the two hour period (this includes the audience and smaller siblings), it was necessary to get up in front of an audience and speak clearly, and there were no second chances. Unless you are part of the final rounds, if the wrong thing comes out of your mouth, you are done. Period. Life is like that. Sometimes you can't argue your way out of a situation.

If the organizers are willing to do this again next year, we will be sure to participate. The experience is valuable, and there is always room for improvement.

If your local homeschool group does a spelling bee and your child isn't too shy, it can be a great opportunity to improve spelling and vocabulary. I suspect there could be some stigma attached to such a brainy activity in public school, but the lovely thing about homeschooling is that for most homeschoolers brainy is good! Here are a couple of resources I've found online:

Scripps National Spelling Bee website in case you want information, or to start a competition in your area:
http://www.spellingbee.com/

Spelling practice fun:
http://www.spellingbeethegame.com/
http://www.learner.org/interactives/spelling/
http://www.arcademicskillbuilders.com/games/spelling-bees/spelling-bees.html

A great movie to watch: Akeelah and the Bee

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the above spelling resources. I am a 2nd grade teacher and I am always looking for interactive activities for my students and now that summer is almost here I am looking for them to keep my own kiddos busy this summer learning. Have you used www.spellingcity.com? It is a great site where you can upload your own lists and there are tons of grammar activities too:)
    ☮Monica
    The Schroeder Page

    ReplyDelete