Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Local Homeschool Article


I am part of a large secular homeschool group, and it seems like every year our current president gets interviewed at least once.

This article just came out in a local paper. Theresa has done a great job! I think I may have said things a little differently as I am a little less structured in style and philosophy, but here it is.

CHS Interview

Here is last year's interview with our then-president.

2010 Article

What is striking is just how many people are opting out of public schools these days. Our secular group has grown a little bit every year and I must say that I don't get the blank stare SO much anymore when I tell people we homeschool. While this is easier for me, I do wonder what this says for our public schools. Clearly they are failing us in many ways. I've heard stories about bullying, about quiet children getting lost in the cracks, about kids who are bored out of their minds because they know the material but are penalized for it... the list goes on. In our area, and possibly many others, the teachers and the school system seems to be overwhelmed. I have nothing but sympathy for a teacher trying to teach 30 students of broad ability levels while be straightjacketed by numerous Federal and State standards and requirements and lacking the proper resources. Those same teachers, in my opinion, don't get paid nearly enough.

Homeschooling certainly isn't for everyone. It is not easy, but it doesn't have to be hard either. A lot of it has to do with how you view things and how you deal with day-to-day issues. When I went through and thought out my reasons for wanting to homeschool, I decided that I would much rather devote my time to my children than go out and get a job. I consider it my job right now. Stress about "Am I doing enough?" and lack of personal time aside, the benefits continue to outweigh the difficulties. My kids are great friends, they get to explore things we just wouldn't have had time for otherwise, and I think in the end they will be happier, better adjusted people as adults, and will have a pretty good idea about what they want to do with their lives. We will continue to re-evaluate each year, but for now, I'm just incredibly thankful that we still have the right in this country to teach our own children. I am growing and learning along-side them, and that in itself is a tremendous gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment