Monday, September 17, 2012

Another math resource: Dragon Box


Some wonderful people on a math list I lurk on pointed me to a rather fun math app you can get for your computer, iPad or iPhone. The game is called Dragon Box and it purports to teach basic algebra ideas. I thought to myself, "Why not? It's only $6." We downloaded it and my son got started on it the next day and had conquered the whole app inside of two hours. I'm pretty sure this is not normal, and I'm not sure what he got out of it, but he did manage to figure out the picture/letter/number equations. Since he is only 9, I figure at the very least he will have a good base for when we do cover algebra. My daughter is working on it now. It's taking her a bit longer, but I thought I would share this resource in case it's something your kids might benefit from. It's clever math fun that doesn't seem to be math at all.

If you want to know more, there is a really great article about it from Wired magazine here.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. Did you hear the NPR report on teacher perceptions of student supposed future IQ and capabilities? Enlightening. Teachers influence their students in subtle ways with body language and responses to actions by the students. Worth checking out. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Sheri, thanks for the post. For your info: DragonBox 12+ for comprehensive resource now out. Start off the same 2 first chapters and then signs, parenthesis, factoring...

    ReplyDelete