Sunday, September 4, 2011

It Takes a Village Part II

How could I address the family in our lives without also addressing all the wonderful friends we have as well? Without a network of people around us, this homeschool journey of ours would never have worked. We are so fortunate to have found a large and open group that I could go to for advice, moral support, ideas, and perspective. Especially in those early days, when I was trying to muddle through the lifestyle change of homeschooling, and so unsure of everything I was doing or not doing, it meant so much to be able to go to the moms who had been doing it for a while. More often than not they would tell me to relax, it all works out in the end. These "experienced moms" as I thought of them, were so self assured, and their kids, who were often older, were proof positive that homeschooling could produce thoughtful, well-adjusted, and well educated human beings. The injection of thoughtful common sense meant so much to me.

These days my kids never seem to lack for social connections and seem to have more friends than I can keep up with. Even better, I know these kids and I know their families, and I like them all. I'm not sure that would have happened if my kids had stayed in school. We are a community that shares a common purpose and I would say most are willing and able to help each other out in whatever way they can. Sometimes it's a ride to and from an event, sometimes watching each other's kids in a scheduling crunch, sometimes it's the sharing of materials ideas and connections, and sometimes it's a meal or financial help for a family in having a tough time. I often try to help out when I can and often wish I could do more. This past Winter and Summer I was at the receiving end of the "kindness connection" and I can't say how thankful and honored I am to have found such wonderful people to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment